Sunday, January 17, 2010

Tale #9

Today was another great day. In the morning, Will, Jon, Courtney, Jackie, and I went to Camden market, a much, much bigger, and even a little better version of Portland's Saturday market. It was pretty much endless (we went around for 3 hours, getting lost several times and also not making it to even half of the shops around!) There were also a ton of cheap food stands, and unfortunately I had already eaten lunch. Oh well, there's always tomorrow!
After that, I went down to the Royal Academy of Music for a performance of 3 baroque concertos, 7 baroque dances, and Purcell's Dido and Aeneas. It was incredible! The chamber orchestra used performance period instruments, including an awesome wooden oboe for Vivaldi's Oboe Concerto. Dido and Aeneas was unstaged, but it was still really, really good. The soloists, while a little distracting in terms of facial expression, were very good, and the chorus and orchestra were expressive, and pretty much perfect in every way. It was an amazing concert.
Tomorrow, we will visit Parliament, and I have my choir audition!
Cheers,
Ethan

3 comments:

  1. So cool! In my brief two days in London over winter break, I managed to spend 6 hours or so at Camden Market. The underground, as I'm sure you're realizing, is like the best transportation system EVER. Did you go into "Cyber Dog" in Camden? Super strange rave style clothing store, with pulsating robots as mannequins and everything blacklight-friendly.

    And just like people said of my posts sometimes, your trip sounds SO incredible! I'll keep following it and wishing I was there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha we saw that store! It was pretty interesting/sweet. And yes, the tube is incredible!
    I was definitely very jealous of your blog as well!

    ReplyDelete