Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Tales #16,17

Sunday
First thing today, Will and I went down to the Theater Royal Haymarket to get tickets for the matinée of "Waiting for Godot" by Samuel Beckett at 3:00. The tickets were a little pricey, but we got basically the best seats in the house for less than half the original price. After a quick lunch back at metrogate (our dorm hall), we went back to the theater for the show.

The Theater Royal Haymarket



As anyone who has seen the show will know, it is a confusing, and mostly pointless play when it comes down to it. However, it is certainly interesting and entertaining. The acting was incredible; especially the man who played Estragon, who you may recognize from such roles as Gandalf in the Lord of the Rings films. Of course I am referring to the incredible Ian Mckellen, who managed to give a convincing performance in which never once did I think to myself "That is something Gandalf would do". I probably wouldn't go twice (some of the repeated plot lines and points got a little repetitive), but I enjoyed it.
After the show, I hurried over to Dave and Kathy's (the leaders of our trip) flat for dinner with them. They made lasagna and sticky toffee pudding, which was absolutely wonderful!

Monday

Today, I did some work for my internship during the day, and also went over to the library and got a library card. In the evening, I went to choir rehearsal while everyone else went to the one theater performance we had on a Monday. When I got back from choir, the people who went to the performance told me about it, and apparently it was appalling! I guess I got lucky that I was unable to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment